Monday, February 17, 2014

Dancin in the Dark

And I'm off and running! Today was the first day of the official program. I'm doing the Grandma's Marathon training program designed by Dick Beardsley, the course record holder. Two years ago I used the program to run my first half marathon ever and I was impressed by the results, so I figure I'll use it again for the full. It's an intense program that will have me running 6 days a week and take me over 550 total miles in the next 18 weeks.

Today's run started like most of my runs. 5:45am wake up call, dressed and out the door by 6. These days it's still pretty dark at six in Delhi and it's cold. This morning it was 52 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm sure my training partners in Duluth wouldn't mind 52, but for here it bundle-ups weather. It's just a matter of time before I'll be complaining about the heat, so I suppose I should grin and bear it.

I started with a 3 miler to Nehru Park, still searching for the top of the leader board in MapMyRun land. It seems that I'm getting close, but the scoring is still a bit of a mystery to me. Maybe I'll hit the loop one more time tomorrow before I start searching out new locales.

As you can imagine, running in the dark presents its challenges. I trust that the path will be true, that nobody will suddenly appear out of the fog and the half light and power forward. There's something wonderfully liberating about shutting out my sense of vision and relying on sense of feel to run through the park. Taking away the visual distractions helps me to focus on my thoughts and my stride as I consider the long road ahead of me. I'm looking forward to running the marathon, but I know that it will take effort and hard work to get there.

Run Stats:
Distance- 3.08 miles
Time- 22:21
Soundtrack- Shuggie Otis-Freedom Flight


No comments:

Post a Comment