Thursday, April 7, 2016

For the Mankers! - The Guapa Run

Another donation came in quickly from great friends and strong members of the AES running community - the Mankers. The future campers that will benefit from the Ty Taylor Memorial Campship thank you, as do I. More donations can be made at this link. Thanks in advance.

For this dedicated training run, I decided to run the route that Bernie and Laura have run more than any other - the four mile route that one or the other of them run several times a week with their dog, Guapa. I'll try not to gush on Bernie and Laura too much, but they have been big supporters of my running and have probably logged more miles with me than anyone else. Read any of my past posts and the likelihood is high that one of them was there with me. Here's one post I wrote about my bromance with Bernie as an example of my gushiness.

Just like the previous dedication, I wasn't sure what I'd write about as I took off, so I just opened my eyes and waited to see what would happen to me on this run. Living in India is a lot like living in the book To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street, by Dr. Seuss. Except, the crazy things that Marco would see here are actually here and not in his mind. Almost as an answer to my dare, it wasn't long before I saw my first cool thing. It was the President's Bodyguard. As Wikipedia reports, the President's Bodyguard is an Indian Army calvary regiment. Today they are still an active regiment, tasked with the job of protecting the President of India. In addition to those duties, the mounted horseback troops are a prominent part of ceremonies in New Delhi and elsewhere.

They are based within the Rashtrapati Bahvan, or the Presidential Palace. As it occupies a sizable piece of the real estate in our part of town, we often have to run around its walls. It's not uncommon to come across the troops as they exercise the horses.

I didn't take a picture that morning, but I have in the past. It also got me thinking of the crazy animals we've come across on our runs in Delhi. Here is a sampling for you to enjoy.



The rest of the route was sadly, predictable. No crazy gutter dog on Safdarjung Road, no elephants at the Ashok and no camels. What about you readers? What's the craziest thing you've ever been surprised by on a run?

RUN STATS
Distance: 4:16 miles
Duration: 31:12



No comments:

Post a Comment